SUBMISSIONS FOR THE 2020 AWARDS ARE NOW WELCOME
The Kraszna-Krausz Book Awards recognise individuals or groups of individuals who, in the opinion of the Judges, have made an outstanding original or lasting contribution to the literature of or concerning the art and practice of photography or the moving image. Two winning titles will be selected; one in the field of photography and one in the field of the moving image (including film, television and digital media).
From the total submissions, a long list of ten books will be selected in both categories by the judges. This will then be reduced to shortlists of three, from which two final winning publications will be chosen. Each winning book will receive a £5,000 cash prize.
The winners will be announced during the week of Photo London (14-17 May 2020) at an awards ceremony at the Royal Society of Arts, London. The shortlisted authors, photographers or editors will be invited to attend.
How to apply
Please complete the downloadable submission form and email it, along with a digital sample or blad (as pdf) and / or 5 – 7 jpeg images of each submitted book, to firstname.lastname@example.org, with ‘2020 Awards’ as your subject line. Larger files can be sent via wetransfer with the book title and publisher’s name included in the link information box.
Three hard copies of each submitted title must be available for postage. One copy will be distributed to each of the three judges. Postal addresses to send the books to will be confirmed once you have returned the submission form and eligibility has been confirmed.
The deadline for submission of the completed entry form and digital sample/images is 17 January 2020.
The deadline for submission of the hard copy books is 31 January 2020.
Nominations and submissions are welcome for books that meet the following criteria.
- The book must be published between 1 January and 31 December 2019. The copyright date on the colophon determines the publication year.
- The book must be published, distributed or available to buy (including online) in the UK.
- Non-English language books must be accompanied by an English language translation of all text. English language translations first published within the qualifying period are eligible.
- Submissions in the Photography Book award category must contain a significant textual element (image only books are not eligible).
- Submissions are welcome from publishers, collectives and individuals self-publishing their work. Self-published titles must have been released in a minimum print run of 100 copies.
- Publishers may submit up to eight different titles.
- New editions of books are eligible. However, reprints or revised books should have a significant amount of new material, and the original or earlier editions should not have been previously long-listed for these awards.
How will the books be judged?
The judging panel consists of three internationally recognised experts in their specialist fields. There are separate panels for the photography and moving image awards. Judges for the 2020 Kraszna-Krausz Awards will be announced in January. Previous judges have been drawn from the worlds of fine art, photography, film, galleries, museums, academia and publishing. Names of previous judges can be found here.
In the opinion of the judges, winning books should make a significant contribution to the art, scholarship, history, research, criticism, science or conservation in the fields of photography or the moving image.
In addition to the visual and written content, submissions are judged on the standards of production, format, design and re-production of imagery.